Monday, January 11, 2010

St Kitts



This is my second sketch from the isle of St Kitts. I took the photo from the Scenic Railway car, camera in one hand and rum punch in the other. I really liked all those charming little houses, painted in cheerful ice cream colors, with their corrugated tin roofs, and brilliant white shutters. St Kitts is building lots of small houses like this "low income houses" they are called. The goal is that everyone who wants a house will have one. That's the Atlantic Ocean in the background, much darker and wilder than the Caribbean.
Watercolor on 140 lb paper.

10 comments:

Tammy said...

Looks like a warm place to live.I like the colors in your painting,I would love to be there on the beach.

martinepittet said...

Lovely sketch ! Thanks for giving us a warm sunny atmosphere in this chilly period !

nanke's stuff said...

Nicely done and is warming just to look at it! nancy

Unknown said...

This is just the sort of memory we all need at the moment! I do love how colorful some place make their buildings (ie Mexico, Guatemala)! I wish we did that sort of thing in Texas!

Timaree said...

Great job! I think you did the waves very well and well, the whole picture looks great.

donna said...

Very well done!

Carol said...

Beautiful watercolor! I'd love to be in that little house right now:)

Leah said...

a rum punch in one hand! :-) hehe. what a sweet little cottage!

Ramona Davidson said...

Wish I was there. You have painted it so invitingly. Love the colors.

EWian said...

Shutters are so charming, I am sure your trip was charming too.

EWian