Wednesday, June 23, 2010

EDM 276 - Draw your grocery store

Home renovations and a monstrous cold have left me little time for drawing.  This is our neighborhood grocery store near my house.  It has recently gone through a massive renovation.  I think it's finished now, but it remains a singularly uninspired piece of architecture.
What did inspire me though, was the dramatic sky that was transitioning from ominous and threatening to blue sky and fluffy clouds.
I don't think this is very successful - I'm not happy with it for a lot of reasons.  With skies it seems that you have to wet the paper, drop in the paint, walk away and hope for the best.  I think it requires lots of practice so that you know how much the various paints will spread and how much water to apply.  I will keep practising and next time I will try add lots of paint and then blotting clouds out.  That might give the softer, more nebulous look that I want.
For better or worse, I always post the EDM challenges that I do.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's a great sky Lynn.

Cecelia said...

Your sky is fine! I sort of use tissue to blot and twist for my clouds. My theory about architecture today is that the designers/architects didn't take any art or design classes, just computers. Anyone can buy a program and make boxes, I think. The school district where I taught bulldozed the old school built in the 60s, and remodeled an abandoned WalMart. They asked us for suggestions, but, they didn't use any of them. They just changed it into rooms, so it still looks like Walmart! Everyone joked about Walmart High. Still a box with no characte.

Shalini said...

I think you have made a beautiful sky there...

Peachtreeart said...

Lovely ski!

Dan Kent said...

Well, my goodness, you are awfully hard on yourself. When I saw the drawing, it was the sky I was drawn to - it is a great, interesting sky!

Alex said...

I think it's lovely! You did well with the angle and the sky =)

Unknown said...

LOL...I thought the same thing about the sky! It turned out very well in my opinion! My area suffers from the same architectural blahness, which is why I don't do more Urban Sketching!!

Sandra said...

Seems that your inner critic is running loose. The sky is great.

donna said...

Yes, it is a wonderful sky. As for the store itself, I believe the subject that is lacking, not the rendering.

nanke's stuff said...

I'm with Donna - it's the architecture, not the drawing. The sky, on the other hand, is really great! nancy

Ann said...

I think your sky looks terrific!