Thursday, April 29, 2010

April is the cruellest month



I'm trying to draw a bit quicker. You need to be quick if you want to draw birds, cats, sailboats and other moving targets. This was an attempt to let go of the details and capture the shape - the essential "birdness". I'm not sure that I like it.

I did it last week, when the robin was gazing skyward and basking in the sunshine, and I was contemplating breaking the capri pants and flipflops out of winter storage.

This week, we were visited again by winter with lots of wet, heavy snow, wind warnings, and barely above freezing temperatures. This afternoon the robin was slogging through the snow, probably wishing he hadn't let the travel agent talk him into taking the Early Bird flight back to paradise. For now, the summer clothes stay put, and I hope the robin's fluffy feathers will keep him warm. Oh, and any complaint about snow has to be followed by the obligatory phrase "But we need the moisture" Sigh...

5 comments:

Alex said...

such a cute looking bird! =) I like the whole package, where it's standing, the background and all

Unknown said...

I think it is wonderful--especially because it was done quickly! You've captured it's gesture very well!

Lesley Purcell said...

We are suddenly having colder weather after a spell of lovely warm sunshine here in the UK too. Never mind - we'll enjoy the warmth all the more when it comes to stay. I love your robin, he's a very cute little chap and this is a really confident sketch!

nanke's stuff said...

It's a very cute little robin! I'm not a very fast drawer either - I have much work to do in that dept. nancy

Jana Bouc said...

This is a stunning sketch and has the simplicity and beauty of a Japanese woodblock. Sorry about the rough weather! We've been having a weird spring too, going through all the seasons in one week (or as seasonal as we get here in No. California).