Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Comin' up roses



The roses are blooming! These are Hansa roses in my back garden. They've been there for many years, and this year they are quite spectacular. I wanted to draw the promise and potential of the buds, as well as the glory of the full blooms. Shortly after I did this, they exploded into blossom, perfuming the air. Their color this year is very intense, as is the scent. They sure attract the bees, which is good because the bees are also visiting the nearby tomato plants.

I'm trying to draw all the perrenials as they come to bud and then full flower. Right now it's happening so quickly that I can hardly keep up.

"The only difference between an extraordinary life and an ordinary one is the extraordinary pleasures you find in ordinary things"

- Veronique Vienne

2 comments:

MagicMarkingsArt said...

this sketch is really lovely!

carin.c said...

Ahhh roses are a favorite of mine. I like how you captured the "promise" of the buds. I should go out in the garden with my sketchbook. I am usually inside when I sketch.