Monday, September 08, 2008

Pansies


It was a bad year for the garden, cool, cloudy, wet. But the cheerful pansies thrived, and brough much needed color. Pansies mean "loving thoughts", but I've always thought they meant resiliance and determination.
I send thee pansies while the year is young,
Yellow as sunshine, purple as the night;
Flowers of remembrance, ever fondly sung
By all the chiefest of the Sons of Light;
And if in recollection lives regret
For wasted days and dreams that were not true,
I tell thee that the "pansy freak'd with jet"
Is still the heart's ease that the poets knew
Take all the sweetness of a gift unsought,
And for the pansies send me back a thought."
---Sarah Doudney
Watercolor and staedtler pen in Aquabee sketchbook .

5 comments:

BARBARA WEEKS said...

I love your pansies! They're such great and hardy little flowers.

Sandy said...

Good to hear from you and see your blog again, So glad all is well with your DH - Now you need some time for yourself - Great pansies, so bright and beautiful

Deborah said...

I love pansies and their happy little faces. You really captured their joy!

tera_angel said...

Your little pansies are so realistic and happy looking. Beautiful painting, my friend!

Our neighbors two doors down have these amazing black pansies. You wouldn't think that black flowers would be pretty, but these are so rich-looking and dark. They are very unique.

Tara

kazumiwannabe said...

Lovely and happy painting! I love the layout, and nicely colored flowers!