Friday, August 08, 2008

Daisy



I took up drawing again, mostly because I was inspired by the flowers growing in my small garden. I had wanted a cottage type garden, and had planted daisies, delphiniums and roses. The daisies are my favorite perennial - cheerful, persistent and worry free.
Daisy, Common
Botanical: Bellis perennis (LINN.) Family: N.O. Compositae
Synonyms---Bruisewort. (Scotch) Bairnwort. (Welsh) Llygad y Dydd (Eye of the Day).
Parts Used---Root, leaves.
Historically used as a cure for fresh wounds in an ointment applied externally, and against inflammatory disorders of the liver, taken internally by distilling in water.

To the Daisy
"In youth from rock to rock I went,
From hill to hill in discontent
Of pleasure high and turbulent,
Most pleased when most uneasy;
But now my own delights I make,--
My thirst at every rill can slake,
And gladly Nature's love partake,
Of Thee, sweet Daisy!
- William Wordsworth

8 comments:

Luba said...

The dasies are pretty and I like the border, too!

Deb said...

This is so pretty! Would make a great greeting card.

Kathleen said...

Very nice page I like the border treatment

kazumiwannabe said...

Nice! The writing is great too!

Timaree said...

Pretty little composition. This would be a great ATC format.

Margaret Ann said...

A very light and fanciful post...great sketch! :)

Rita said...

Simple and pretty! I agree--would make a nice card. :)

Teri said...

You know how much I love these daisies :)! Beautiful job!!