Monday, April 21, 2008

Sunlit Geese


I was a bit hesitant about posting this, even though I really like it. I had wanted to draw geese and especially the goslings for quite a while now. I had tried before to capture the glowing fuzziness of the little ones, but couln't manage to do it well. I got lots of advice and have been practising that technique. Then I got this book from the library with the a watercolor demo of geese and goslings that looked almost exactly like the photo that I had. The demo had 4 goslings, my photo had 3 and the positions were a bit different. But I feel that I must mention the book and the demo as this is similar to it. The book is called "Watercolor Workshop" by Glynis Barnes-Mellish.

The reason I wanted to paint this is that for the last seven or eight years, a pair of Canada geese has come to the outside courtyard of the college where I work, to nest in one of the large concrete planters. It's a good spot because it juts out over the lower courtyard, and can't be reached by curious bystanders. Once the goslings are hatched, the proud parents march them through the courtyard, down the steps, and out to the pond in the back. We are all quite protective of these geese, but unfortunately last year, the female was killed, probably by a coyote. This is the first year for a long time that the college community has not come together to look out the window at the nest, and marvel at the renewing of nature right in front of us. Perhaps the male will be back with a new mate, but I really hope not. There are two many aggressive coyotes around now, and I think none of the little ones would survive. So I will miss them, but I will remember them in this small way.

7 comments:

Teri said...

Gosh Lynn, this turned out beautiful! Before I read anything, I knew they were in the bright sun.

Alan said...

This will be a great reminder.

Christie said...

I think you captured the texture of the gosling's down very well. They are both fuzzy and sun-lit.

Clare said...

Hi Lynn, I agree with Teri & Christie, You have managed to bring out the texture & light you were looking to in this painting. Beautiful! Hey we are both Special K fans! Yummy!

Unknown said...

This is very beautiful and so is your fish.

your information on the type of trout is interesting.

jpsam said...

Hi Lynn!
This is a wonderful painting. I have received so much encouragement because of my chicken quilt that I am now thinking about a series and baby chicks was one of my ideas. Your painting is an inspiration! Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.
joan

FRANKYE said...

Your painting conveys your caring for the little things in your world. It is a fitting reminder of just how fragile life is. My daughter and I attended a butterfly event today where we had the opportunity to "feed" them.
What great things we can see if we just stop and look, and enjoy life.