Sunday, April 13, 2008

EDM 166 - Draw a fish



This a Bull Trout, the official fish of Alberta. (Aren't you glad you read this blog so you can know terrific trivia like that?) It is a protected species as its numbers have declined, and the way they teach us that we must catch and release this fellow is "No black, throw it back". It is the only trout here that has no black spots on its dorsal fin. It is also recognisable by the white leading edge on its lower fins. I think trout have such lovely, streamlined shapes and beautiful coloring (and no, I'm not being sarcastic, I really am a fan of fish). One of my favorite vacation memories is snorkeling in Parrotfish Bay in Mexico among all the fish there. Parrotfish are cute!


This is done in the Moleskine watercolor book with watercolor paints so I could get smooth washes for the fish and the water.

9 comments:

Margaret Ann said...

Beautiful color and movement...wonderful lines! :)

Ann said...

This is lovely!

Mark Kwasny said...

It's so funny when you read, "Draw a fish" and you produce another spectacular piece of artwork. You have the ability to turn the word "draw" into "create a fabulous piece of art."

Mark

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful color graduations - very glowy!

Anonymous said...

This fish painting has such a lovely, graceful, flowing line to it. Very peaceful...

Cheryl Gebhart said...

I love this! I'm a big fan of fish too - maybe since my DH is a fisheries biologist. LOL! Beautiful colors.

jpsam said...

Wonderful colors and composition!
joan

Roshanda said...

I'm not a big fan of fish, but yours is lovely. Thanks for all of the useful information on them!

kazumiwannabe said...

This is really beautiful!