Friday, July 11, 2008

EDM 179 - Draw an onion


These green onions always seem to be the epitome of freshness. One of the best things to do with them is to make Crispy Green Onion Pancakes, a Chinese street food. They are made of unleavened dough rather than a batter, and require a bit of patience. But if you like making bread like I do, then this is a recipe that is worth the work.

Green Onion pancakes

3 cups of flour

1 cup of hot water

Chopped green onions

Sesame oil

Salt and pepper

Peanut oil

Put the flour in a bowl and add the hot water to it. Stir until it comes together in a ball. Turn the ball out onto a floured surface and knead for a few minutes until the dough is silky and smooth. (yeah, the directions are a bit vague but making bread is like that). Put the ball of dough back in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn the dough onto a floured surface again and knead for 1 or 2 minutes until it's no longer sticky. Now comes the fun part. Cut the dough into pieces, depending on how big you want your pancakes. Roll the piece into a round thin shape about 1/8 inch thick. Brush with sesame oil, sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and then the chopped onion. Roll it into a cigar shape, then coil it into a round shape, and then roll it out til it looks like a tortilla. Cover with the plastic wrap, and continue with all the rest of the dough pieces. Heat the peanut oil in a frying pan until quite hot, then quickly fry the pancakes one or two minutes until crispy. Flip and fry the other side. Serve smokin' hot with soy sauce. Delicious!

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

yummy! I may just have to try that! Hum, have the sesame oil but need peanut oil and green onions. I bet these rent on my weight watchers point list hum... your green onions are so fresh looking lost the colors!

BARBARA WEEKS said...

This watercolor is so fresh. You make it look effortless. Nice!

Deb said...

Love the way you painted your onions!

Gillian Mowbray said...

What beautiful artwork and a recipe too! I'm inspired by your fabulous EDM pieces - I have yet to do my very first one!
Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. x

kazumiwannabe said...

Love your painting. Fresh is the word! I'm going to copy your recipe and try it, it sounds delicious. These long onions we call "cebettes" in the south of France and we use them a lot in spring and summer.

Margaret Ann said...

Yes I totally agree...Super Fresh!!! Your color choices and that blue gingham type fabric background look is great...Really great!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

beautiful job!!! and a recipe..great job

Anetka said...

fresh, fresh, fresh, fresh onion sketch - I love the colours...and I am hungry now...

Timaree said...

Clear and fresh is how I would describe your painted onions. I really like it. Your recipe sounds wonderful - fatty, but wonderful. I've got to copy it down just in case.

Susan's Scribbles said...

First of all, I love the drawing of the onions. And the recipe sounds quite delightful!