Sunday, November 04, 2007

EDM 243 - Draw some herbs or spices


These are some herbs that began their lives outside on the patio last spring. July was hot and dry and the herbs did really well. But a cool and cloudy August did them no favors. I brought them in and placed them on a little bench near the patio door. Even still, there is not enough heat nor light, for them to thrive. And in order to sleep in her favorite sunbeam, Holly the tabby cat has to crawl underneath the little bench. I think the time has come to harvest them and dry them. But I have so enjoyed leaning over from the couch and brushing their leaves to release the scent into the room, and picking the fresh leaves for cooking. This weekend, I cooked three large bags of roma tomatoes into sauce flavored with fresh basil. The rosemary scented the lamb roast we had for dinner today, and many a Greek salad was flavored with the oregano. And now they are "immortalized" by this sketch. These herbs have fulfilled their destiny.
I tried to be a little quicker and looser in this sketch. I'm not sure that I achieved that, but it did not take as long as it usually does. I have so many ideas for things to draw, but I never have time to do them all. So I'm trying to speed up a bit. This is watercolor in the 7"x9" Aquabee sketchbook.

7 comments:

Teri said...

What a great job you did on these Lynn!

Iberostar said...

I can almost smell your tomatoes cooking with the oregano! Nice work - I love the leaves - I should try more watercolor...I will visit your blog more often!
Janice

Lin said...

Lovely!!! I like how you placed them on the windowsill too!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful sketch! And my three favorite herbs (at least for this week)
Rosemary always has to come inside, so I can brush against it all winter and enjoy the fragrance. I would like to bring in my oregano but can never get it to stay alive.

Anonymous said...

I really like that your greens turned out so vibrant. It's also interesting to read for which recipes the different spices actually get used.

Anonymous said...

Great sketch....and great food! I can just smell that tomato sauce!!
Ronell

Anonymous said...

Great sketch and wonderful commentary as well!