Wednesday, November 21, 2007

EDM 145 - A fall tree



This is the steeple on the little strip mall that I walk by everyday on my way to and from work. There is a row of poplar trees behind the building and from a certain angle, one of the poplars perfectly frames the steeple. In the fall the contrast is lovely - the clear blue sky, the vibrant yellow leaves, and the dark green of the roof. There are no leaves on that row of poplars right now, but I used a bit of memory to paint it. Painting landscapes and even trees are not my strong point - I can't seem to find the right spot between too much detail and not enough. And I'm still not sure about this one. I've looked at it a hundred times and sometimes I like and sometimes I think it's pretty lame. (Those of you who have read this blog before know about my woes with two point perspective). I've been feeling disheartened and uninspired lately because of things at work mostly, and the lack of sunlight and warm weather. But the colors are cheerful and nothing breaks through a lack of inspiration more than simply doing it and trusting that the universe is unfolding as it should. And then I found this little haiku that made me smile
Kaleidoscopic leaves
swirl and camoflage winter's
relentless approach
Carol Nation

9 comments:

quirkyartist said...

I didn't know about your perspective woes, but you will get there if you keep trying. Perspective is HARD but when you get it, you get it.

Anonymous said...

I love the green roof and the yellow leaves. Perspective is difficult and I still struggle with it from time to time. One of my favorite drawing books (which also has a chapter on perspective) is 'Drawing To See' by Nathan Goldstein. Maybe you can take a look, if it is also helpful to you. I hope you'll feel really inspired again soon!

Dana S. Whitney said...

May I make a comment (visiting via EDM)? When you've "lost heart," confidence or inspiration, how about making a cartoon (or scribble) of how you visualize THAT. It borders on art therapy, of course, but letting our "issues" get in the way of artistic expression is how we stay stuck... for a LONG time. An alternative strategy is to make a list of 100 things you LIKE about your work. (Guaranteed to silence the inner critic.) Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Well, I like your painting, perspective woes and all! I could picture it as an illustration in a book and reading your story about passing it on your way every day makes it a personal appreciation, which is what I love about art. I know the long hard gray days of winter...do more sketches like this one and tag them with these nice haiku's and before you know it, spring is here...and of course you will at the same time lift MY winterspirit as well, beacuse I can visit here!!
Ronell

Susan Hosken said...

I love your art work. I have been checking out your blog. Thank you so much for sharing.
Lots of love from Susan in Australia

Ann said...

I like this watercolor, it is very cheerful and perfect the way it is. You are right that just doing something is better than not making art because of worry about how well it will turn out. I'm learning that too.

Linda said...

I love that fall color combination of yellow leaves against a blue sky. You've captured it perfectly! :-)

Nancy said...

I like the ideas you have to meet the EDM challenges. And then, I like the way you present them. It was nice to visit your site again and thanks for visiting Camp Sparky!

Anonymous said...

Perspective is difficult and I still struggle with it. There is a very good book that helped me tremendously: Perspective by J.M. Parramon. I understand it is out of print, but you might be able to pick up a used copy on Amazon for a couple of dollars. I can see where the perspective is giving you issues. But, the fact that you didn't avoid it, that you tried it anyway, shows a lot of courage and great spirit. Keep doing it and it will come. It may not always be as easy as you want it, but it will get better. BTW, the colors you used are lovely and I think the off-perspective actually gives the piece some charm. :) Great work!