Tuesday, October 09, 2007

EDM 139 - Draw something with a handle


This tea set was given to my parents as a wedding present more than 50 years ago. I have always loved it even though it is kind of kitschy. When I was little, my favorite book was The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I imagined that if I opened a hidden door in the fence and found the garden, it would look exactly like this tea pot with the white doves and the bird bath and the climbing roses. Back in June, I stayed with my mom for several days and drew it. I took copious notes about colors and lines, etc. When the challenge to draw something with a handle came up, it seemed the perfect opportunity to finish this. But even with the notes, and even with as many hundreds of times of looking at the thing, I could not remember all of the details. So this weekend, when I was there again, I was able to focus on what I couldn't remember like how to finish the birdbaths. This is more complex than my usual drawings, with more detail and fine work. It seemed to take a very long time, but I'm actually pleased with how it turned out. It really looks like the tea set. I used water colors, watercolor crayons and a Pigma Micron pen.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! this is very nicely done! the colors are just lovely!

Jana Bouc said...

This was such a treat to see and read about! Your blog is a real delight!

Felicity Grace said...

Lovely illustration! I used to go off to another world in books like that too, so I can see what you mean!

Kary said...

The colors are so vibrant! What a grand painting - congratulations!

Lin said...

HOW PRETTY!!! And you've done a super job on them too!

Tara D said...

What a beautiful little set. I love the colors. This is nicely done. What a treasure :)

Christeen said...

Kitsch is awesome! :) This reminds me of a set of cannisters we had when I was a kid- all different kinds of fruit. Your post made me smile, and your painting came out really nice.

Anonymous said...

These are magical! And they fit "A Secret Garden" just right. Great job!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely memory piece - the details are incredible. Hopefully you also took a few photos for the family album?

Anonymous said...

I love this drawing! It has an illustrative feel to it which I love!
ronell

Judybec said...

Beautiful tea set nicely painted. It really does take me into a world of secret gardens! -very whimsical approach.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a lot of detail to paint. IT turned out beautifully, tho. I am also a huge fan of the Secret Garden. My kids watched in when they were younger and I always wanted to have a garden like that with the door and everything. Great work!