Sunday, January 21, 2007

EDM 100 Landscape


This is the prairie landscape that I grew up with - the infinite sky, the golden fields, and the grain elevators. They are becoming scarce now, taken over by new technology and bigger centers. I wanted to pay tribute to them. For so long, they were an integral part of the life of central Alberta, the symbol of the prairies. All the small farming towns had one, the name of the town stenciled on the side so you always knew where you were.
This is done in watercolor on heavy paper. I like the way this turned out, especially because landscapes have always intimindated me a bit. There is so much in a landscape, so many decisions need to be made about what to leave out, what to focus on. Even drawing them I find difficult because if I look away and down to my paper, I have lost my place. This is a simple landscape, there's no where to get lost.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Beautiful - lovely attention to detail in the posts and wire.

Nina Johansson said...

Lovely. And I know what you mean, with old landmarks or things typical to a landscape disappearing. In the north of Sweden (where I come from) there used to be tiny grey (or possibly painted red) hay-barns standing in the middle of the fields. No one uses them anymore, since everybody packs their hay into white plastic now, leaving the landscape full of huge white blobs. The barns are slowly falling apart. Sad.

Linda said...

I think you did this really well! Landscapes are a lot harder that they seem -- especially when you are dealing with flat land and sky, so great job!