Monday, August 30, 2010

EDM 284 - Draw your downtown

This challenge was a true challenge for me.  Urban sketching has been my goal for a while, although I am very intimidated by it.  It's not only the perspective, and all the lines and angles that can, and often do, go so very wrong.  There's also the whole "drawing in public" dilemma.  I decided to ease into it by taking photos of the buildings and then drawing from the photos at home. 
I chose to draw these buildings because I really liked the red windows and plants in the boxes, and the curved window on the right side building.  But mostly, I was completely charmed by the way the sky and clouds were reflected in the windows.These buildings really are side by side and are on Stephen Ave right in the heart downtown.  Most of the buildings along here are historical and original, and protected.  During the day only foot traffic is allowed, which opens it up to cute kiosks that sell everything from sunglasses to bratwurst on a bun.  All the many restaurants place tables and chairs outside, and the business people sip their lunchtime beers under umbrellas.  On this day, I sat on a wrought iron bench in the sun and listened to a wonderful jazz trio playing.  That's why they say "Summertime, and the livin' is easy".
Pigma pen and watercolor pencils in Moleskine.  It took me a long time to complete this drawing, but I'm quite pleased with it.

5 comments:

Alex said...

Awesome looking drawing! And I think you're ALREADY an urban sketcher =) It's really great work there!

Cathy Holtom said...

This is really good and well worth the work you put into it.

Unknown said...

Wonderful results; very worth the effort! It's been a dream of mine also, but I'm having a problem getting to the "urban" part of it!

nanke's stuff said...

Wow! You did a great job with this one. I find architecture really hard to draw. I love how you did the windows, especially. nancy

echogo said...

Your wanna be historian buddy here. I recognized the Doll Building Block immediately. This too is one of my favorite buildings on the Stephen Ave. Mall. Thankfully it is one of the few historic building still left standing for a talented artist to paint! Nice job.